Responsible for the processing of all requests for health information in a timely and efficient manner; ensuring accuracy and providing customers with the highest quality product and customer service according to Owensboro Health policies and federal (HIPAA) and state regulatory requirements.
- Maintains working knowledge of the current state laws regarding the fee structure, and HIPAA regulations as well as Owensboro Health policies in regard to releasing health information and updates team members when necessary.
- Provides oversight and supervision of the release of information (ROI) team including orientation, training, performance management and reviews, department goals, team member development and goals, day to day operations, and daily workflow.
- Ensures staff is managed in accordance with the departmental budget and provides input and feedback for upcoming budgets.
- Informs leadership of team member’s performance and identifies training opportunities.
- Provides feedback and recommendations for improvement and/or recognition using the Owensboro Health Just Culture Decision Guide.
- Identifies and evaluates processes and workflows needing improvement; works with manager to develop and implement solutions.
- Builds a cooperative, collaborative, and efficient team while ensuring team engagement including conducting safety huddles and team meetings.
- Creates staff schedules, manages time keeping and PTO requests, and monitors attendance to ensure adequate staffing to meet department needs.
- Coordinates warehouse retrieval of medical records, onboarding, and annual purge in accordance with the Owensboro Health Record Retention Policy.
- Ensures walk-in customers are assisted in a timely manner, new requests are entered into Epic upon receipt, work queues are maintained, responds to calls and requests in a timely manner, and adjusts daily work assignments as needed.
- Prepares daily, weekly and monthly reports utilizing the Epic ROI module, Finesse Call System and Kronos. Reports include workload status, team member productivity, and quality and details of work closed.
- Processes requests for amendment of medical records, accounting of disclosures, and release restrictions.
- Maintains quality in the release of information (ROI) section to help avoid unauthorized disclosures and possible lawsuits as well as serve as the direct supervisor for the ROI Specialists.
- Completes detailed incident reports/communications immediately when unauthorized disclosures occur and ensures the designated hospital team members including the HIM manager and director are notified.
- Identifies key issues and patterns from partial/conflicting ROI team data and serves as the HIM ROI liaison for subpoenas, auditing, and auditors.
- Handles escalating situations with patients/customers.
- Communicates with attorneys, law enforcement, auditors, and insurance company representatives as well as other professionals by diffusing situations, expediting requests, answering questions, and providing educating on processes.
- Ability to use Microsoft office applications, printers, scanners, fax and copy machines.
- Handles multiple complex assignments.
- Associate's degree or higher in Health Information Technology required upon hire OR
- Associate's degree or higher in Health Information Management (HIM) required upon hire OR
- Associate's degree or higher in related field required upon hire
- A combination of education, training and experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- A minimum of 2 years' relevant experience required
- No licensure/certification/registration required
Skills and Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, problem-solving, and multi-tasking skills.
- Standing: Occasionally
- Walking: Occasionally
- Sitting: Frequently
- Lifting 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting 25-75 lbs: Never
- Lifting over 75 lbs: Never
- Carrying 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 25-75 lbs: Never
- Carrying over 75 lbs: Never
- Pushing/Pulling 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Pushing/Pulling 25-75 lbs: Never
- Pushing/Pulling over 75 lbs: Never
- Climbing: Rarely
- Bending/Stooping: Rarely
- Kneeling: Rarely
- Crouching/Crawling: Rarely
- Reaching: Occasionally
- Talking: Frequently
- Hearing: Occasionally
- Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements: Never
- Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements: Frequently
- Keyboard Data Entry: Frequently
- Running: Never
- Vision: Depth Perception: Frequently
- Vision: Distinguish Color: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Far: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Near: Frequently
Owensboro Health Core Commitments
INTEGRITY - We conduct ourselves with a high level of responsibility, reliability and honesty because we take seriously the trust of our patients and coworkers.
RESPECT - We value and accept the unique talents and contributions of every patient, customer and team member in the Owensboro Health community.
TEAMWORK - We build a spirit of connectivity and fellowship by striving together to overcome obstacles, surpass goals, celebrate accomplishments and plan the future.
INNOVATION - We foster original ideas and creative solutions that improve our daily work and promote the mission of Owensboro Health.
SERVICE - We focus on service to patients, customers and team members by anticipating their needs, thoughtfully meeting those needs and continually improving the quality of everything we do.
EXCELLENCE - We reach beyond basic expectations to expand our knowledge and awareness, produce exceptional work and provide outstanding service.