Performs clinical laboratory tests according to established procedures of verification, processing, testing, and reporting.
- Performs quality control procedures to validate test results according to established standards and records results appropriately.
- Assists in delivery of physicians reports via phone and electronic distribution in a timely manner.
- Responds to ''technical question'' calls from units and physicians.
- Performs preventive maintenance and monitoring of all equipment to ensure that it is working properly and maintains related records.
- Records on instrument logs any repairs, replacement, and maintenance needed of equipment.
- Maintains adequate supply inventories by rotating stock, checking for expiration dates, and ordering replacement stock.
- Performs venipuncture on patients of all age groups and other specimen collection using proper therapeutic skills according to procedures.
- Assists supervisors in additional duties which support the lab's quality program.
- Provides teaching and education to students and other personnel population.
- High school diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or higher required upon hire
- No experience required
- MLT - Certified Medical Lab Technologist through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) required within 3 months of employment in this position OR
- CLA - Certified Lab Assistant through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) required within 3 months of employment in this position
Skills and Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Ability to meet requirements for "High Complexity Testing Personnel" per the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA).
- Standing: Frequently
- Walking: Frequently
- Sitting: Occasionally
- Lifting 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Pushing/Pulling 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling 25-75 lbs: Occasionally
- Pushing/Pulling over 75 lbs: Occasionally
- Climbing: Occasionally
- Bending/Stooping: Frequently
- Kneeling: Occasionally
- Crouching/Crawling: Occasionally
- Reaching: Frequently
- Talking: Frequently
- Hearing: Frequently
- Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements: Rarely
- Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements: Frequently
- Keyboard Data Entry: Frequently
- Running: Rarely
- Vision: Depth Perception: Frequently
- Vision: Distinguish Color: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Far: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Near: Frequently
Owensboro Health Core Commitments
INTEGRITY - We conduct ourselves with a high level of responsibility, reliability and honesty because we take seriously the trust of our patients and coworkers.
RESPECT - We value and accept the unique talents and contributions of every patient, customer and team member in the Owensboro Health community.
TEAMWORK - We build a spirit of connectivity and fellowship by striving together to overcome obstacles, surpass goals, celebrate accomplishments and plan the future.
INNOVATION - We foster original ideas and creative solutions that improve our daily work and promote the mission of Owensboro Health.
SERVICE - We focus on service to patients, customers and team members by anticipating their needs, thoughtfully meeting those needs and continually improving the quality of everything we do.
EXCELLENCE - We reach beyond basic expectations to expand our knowledge and awareness, produce exceptional work and provide outstanding service.