Responsible for a variety of clinical and administrative tasks related to patient registration, assessments, and scheduling while maintaining confidentiality, professionalism, and a high level of ethical behavior. All tasks executed with emphasis on patient access and satisfaction, accuracy of information, and patient assistance.
- Schedules and reschedules appointments and diagnostic testing using computerized scheduling programs as required.
- Collects and records vital signs.
- Performs basic diagnostic procedures and specimen collection.
- Monitors and communicates changes in patient condition.
- Documents patient care given.
- Maintains equipment and medical supplies, including reordering, stocking, cleaning, and troubleshooting.
- Accepts payments and co-pays and other fees for services during registration.
- May be required to reconcile co-payments and cash receipts at the end of shifts.
- Communicates effectively with insurance companies, external agencies, patients, physicians, and team members.
- May communicate with referring facilities regarding patient transfers.
- Arranges for hospital admissions as appropriate.
- Answers internal and external calls; takes requests for patient information, disperses the information with accountability to all regulatory entities and according to the facility's policies and procedures.
- Maintains examination areas.
- Performs patient registration, patient check-out, pre-certifications, pre-procedure instructions, and appointment confirmations.
- Retrieves records as requested by authorized persons. Ensures that properly executed release of information forms are obtained when necessary.
- Files new and returned records according to established systems and policies. Identifies and documents missing records.
- Enters information from a variety of sources into computer database(s). Verifies data entered into computer by checking printouts/reports for errors and correcting as required.
- Locates and prepares records for archival or destruction according to policies and procedures. Initiates retrieval and return of archived records and follows up on any delays or problems with retrieval.
- Assists with performing patient assessments and treatments under the supervision of a physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant or nurse.
- Greets patients as they arrive into the facility and provides appropriate information.
- Prepares patients for medical procedures as appropriate.
- High school diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or higher required upon hire
- No experience required
- ABR-OE - Credential from American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) required within 90 days of obtaining 24 months of experience within the last 36 months in a health care facility under the supervision of a licensed health care provider AND
- BLS - Certified as a Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider required within 90 days of employment in this position
Skills and Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Standing: Frequently
- Walking: Frequently
- Sitting: Occasionally
- Lifting 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 25-75 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying over 75 lbs: Rarely
- Pushing/Pulling 0-25 lbs: Frequently
- Pushing/Pulling 25-75 lbs: Occasionally
- Pushing/Pulling over 75 lbs: Occasionally
- Climbing: Occasionally
- Bending/Stooping: Frequently
- Kneeling: Occasionally
- Crouching/Crawling: Occasionally
- Reaching: Frequently
- Talking: Frequently
- Hearing: Frequently
- Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements: Rarely
- Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements: Frequently
- Keyboard Data Entry: Frequently
- Running: Rarely
- Vision: Depth Perception: Frequently
- Vision: Distinguish Color: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Far: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Near: Frequently
Owensboro Health Core Commitments
INTEGRITY - We conduct ourselves with a high level of responsibility, reliability and honesty because we take seriously the trust of our patients and coworkers.
RESPECT - We value and accept the unique talents and contributions of every patient, customer and team member in the Owensboro Health community.
TEAMWORK - We build a spirit of connectivity and fellowship by striving together to overcome obstacles, surpass goals, celebrate accomplishments and plan the future.
INNOVATION - We foster original ideas and creative solutions that improve our daily work and promote the mission of Owensboro Health.
SERVICE - We focus on service to patients, customers and team members by anticipating their needs, thoughtfully meeting those needs and continually improving the quality of everything we do.
EXCELLENCE - We reach beyond basic expectations to expand our knowledge and awareness, produce exceptional work and provide outstanding service.