Provides financial advocacy counseling to patients/families to help assure that individuals who are eligible for insurance coverage, premium assistance, and/or financial assistance know about their coverage and payment options and have the opportunity to obtain in-person assistance with the enrollment and financial assistance process. Delivers education in regard to explaining affordability programs, qualified health plans, essential health benefits, and rights when using insurance, as well as Owensboro Health financial assistance programs and financial policies.
- Educates patients/guarantors on Owensboro Health financial policies and financial assistance processes and assists them with obtaining coverage, applying for financial assistance, and/or making payments or payment arrangements.
- Assists patients/guarantors with opening or accessing an account with KYNect and obtaining help with premium and cost-sharing discounts through the Marketplace.
- Understands the web-based decision tools and guides patients through the process of narrowing choices for qualified health plans.
- Reviews daily census or clinic schedule and identifies any uninsured accounts that require screening or accounts with outstanding balances requiring intervention to discuss payment options.
- Makes all efforts to contact uninsured patients in work queues and screens them for appropriate coverage or financial assistance and/or sets up payment arrangements.
- Reviews uncollectible accounts such as deceased patient, bankruptcy, and return mail to send to agencies or attorney for next level of collection process.
- Retrieves all necessary documentation of bad debt/charity adjustments as needed for Medicare Cost Report.
- Must maintain eligibility as a Certified Application Counselor (CAC) and comply with any licensing, certification, or other standards prescribed by the state, if applicable.
- Associate's degree or higher in related field required upon hire
- A combination of education, training and experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- No experience required
- No licensure/certification/registration required
Skills and Attributes
- Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
- Works under direct supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Learning and applies knowledge at a basic level relying heavily on senior staff for troubleshooting.
- Standing: Occasionally
- Walking: Occasionally
- Sitting: Frequently
- Lifting 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Lifting 25-75 lbs: Never
- Lifting over 75 lbs: Never
- Carrying 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Carrying 25-75 lbs: Never
- Carrying over 75 lbs: Never
- Pushing/Pulling 0-25 lbs: Rarely
- Pushing/Pulling 25-75 lbs: Never
- Pushing/Pulling over 75 lbs: Never
- Climbing: Rarely
- Bending/Stooping: Rarely
- Kneeling: Rarely
- Crouching/Crawling: Rarely
- Reaching: Occasionally
- Talking: Frequently
- Hearing: Occasionally
- Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements: Never
- Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements: Frequently
- Keyboard Data Entry: Frequently
- Running: Never
- Vision: Depth Perception: Frequently
- Vision: Distinguish Color: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Far: Frequently
- Vision: Seeing Near: Frequently
Owensboro Health Core Commitments
INTEGRITY - We conduct ourselves with a high level of responsibility, reliability and honesty because we take seriously the trust of our patients and coworkers.
RESPECT - We value and accept the unique talents and contributions of every patient, customer and team member in the Owensboro Health community.
TEAMWORK - We build a spirit of connectivity and fellowship by striving together to overcome obstacles, surpass goals, celebrate accomplishments and plan the future.
INNOVATION - We foster original ideas and creative solutions that improve our daily work and promote the mission of Owensboro Health.
SERVICE - We focus on service to patients, customers and team members by anticipating their needs, thoughtfully meeting those needs and continually improving the quality of everything we do.
EXCELLENCE - We reach beyond basic expectations to expand our knowledge and awareness, produce exceptional work and provide outstanding service.